B.A. (Hons.) Geography (Universiti Sains Malaysia) 2001
M.A. Archaeology (Universiti Sains Malaysia) 2005
Ph.D. Archaeozoology (Universiti Sains Malaysia) 2013
Tel: 04 653 4698
Archaeozoology and Human prehistoric Diets, Prehistoric Archaeology in Malaysia, Archaeological Survey and Excavation
Velat Anak Bujeng is currently the Deputy Director, lecturer and researcher at the Centre for Global Archaeological Research (CGAR), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). I have obtained PhD in Archaeozoology (2013), Masters of Arts in Archaeology (2005) and Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography (2001) from USM, Penang. During these five years I have been actively involved in several prehistoric archaeological researches in Sarawak, Sabah and Peninsular Malaysia such as archaeological survey and excavation of the site Gua Tupak, Gua Maku in Serian and Bukit Tengkorak, Bukit Kamiri, Melanta Tutup, the Mansuli open site, Samang Buat, Keningau open site in Sabah. Besides that, I am also involved in the Archaeological Impact Assessment Project in Murum Dam, Bakun, Sarawak in 2009. In terms of teaching and learning, I am a coordinator for the course of minor student in CGAR which is UAW201 The Ascent of Man and Civilization. I am also involved as a co-supervisor for a few MA students and PhD in CGAR. In terms of service, I am appointed as a Committee of the Centre for Global Archaeological Research, a member of the Representative of PTJ Alumni and an Advisor of the USM Archaeology Club until now. I am also a lifetime member of the Ikatan Ahli Arkeologi Malaysia since 2001. My recent research is Metal Age Archaeozoological Research in Sarawak and Sabah. Besides that, I am also involved as a co-researcher in the Phylogeography of Indigenous Societies in Sabah. My research findings have been published in monographs, articles, chapters in books, journals, conference papers and invited talk at international and national levels. I am also involved in consultancy projects such as Conservaton and Reconstruction of Dolphin Skeletons from the Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies and the Division of Industry and Community Network, USM. I am also involved in the archaeological mapping and excavation in the consultancy project Old Prangin Archaeological Project, Penang under Penang Development Corporation (PDC) funded project headed by CGAR, USM (June 2016).
Other Publications (Selected)
- Kajian Arkeozoologi Zaman Logam dari Sabah dan Sarawak. Research University Grant (RU) Top-Down (1 Mei 2014 – 30 April 2015) – Head of Researcher
- Phylogeography Study of Indigenous People in Sabah. USM Short Term Grant (09/2015 – 08/2017) – Co-Researcher
UNDER-GRADUATE TEACHING (Minor Programme)
UAW 201/4 – Ascent of Man and Civilisation
a) Mesopotamian Cilivization
b) Indus Cilivization
Teaching & Learning:
1) UAW 101/4 – Introduction to Archaeology
a) Human Culture and Archaeological Record
b) Survey and Excavation
2) UAW 302/4 – Science in Archaeology
a) Archaeozoology and Archaeobotany
3) UAW 303/4 – Southeast Asian Archaeology
a) Mesolithic? Hoabinh? Epi-Palaeolithic?
b) Metal Age in Southeast Asia
4) UAW 304/4 – Archaeological Excavation
a) Archaeological field survey
b) Bone & Shell: Evidence and Analysis
- Masyella Binti Masbaka. (Research). Maritime routes in Tanjung Simpang Mengayau, Sabah in the context of the maritime Archaeology. (Mac 2016 – Febuary 2021).
- Iklil Izzati Binti Zakaria. Bead study at Bujang Valley: Perspective of Sungai Batu beads. (November 2015 – October 2020).
- Deejay Daxter A. Albert. Master (Research). A study on the mollusc remains from archaeological sites in Semporna, Sabah, Malaysia. (September 2015 – Ogos 2018).
- Rasydan Bin Muhammad. Master (Research). Archaeological research at Gua Pelangi site, Jelebu, Negeri Sembilan. (May 2015 - April 2018)